Unusual behavior with rotor

Jeff Sykes jeff at cowz.com
Tue Aug 20 22:12:17 EDT 2002

I'm using rotor to encrypt some files. When I open and decrypt the
files, they are being truncated. Not quite sure what's happening here,
but here's a code snip from the class I'm using:

class RotoTest:

    def __init__(self, filename, key):
        self.filename = os.path.abspath(filename)
        self.rot = rotor.newrotor(key, 20)

    def rotFile(self):
        print "Rotor file."
        fo = open(self.filename, "r")
        fn = open(self.filename + ".rot", "a")
        fn.write(self.rot.encrypt(fo.read()))
        fo.close()
        fn.close()

    def unrotFile(self):
        print "Unrotor file."
        fo = open(self.filename + ".rot", "r")
        fn = open(self.filename + ".unrot", "a")
        fn.write(self.rot.decrypt(fo.read()))
        fo.close()
        fn.close()

Here are the contents of the original vs. the unencrypted file:

<original>
This is just a test, 1.
This is just a test, 2.
This is just a test, 3.