(slightly OT): Python and linux - very cool

Roy Culley rgc at swissonline.ch
Thu Aug 1 07:33:16 EDT 2002

In article <slrnakhuhq.la6.TuxTrax at fortress.tuxnet>,
	TuxTrax at fortress.tuxnet.net (TuxTrax) writes:

> <snip>

Really nice post. This is what cola should be about.

> This is the code I whipped up. It opens a connection to the server,
> and gets the ident and stats. It then prints the last 10 available
> messages before closing the connection. No big deal. But for this
> newbie, a very big deal.

Newbie or not I think it is a big deal. I've been playing with python
and only wish it had been around when I learnt perl. Python is an
excellent programming language. I have the feeling it is slower than
perl but perhaps that's because I'm a python newbie as well.

> #####################################
> # load needed libraries and modules #
> #####################################
>
> # load module required for interfacing to usenet servers
> # via NNTP. Documentation for this library is at:
> # http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-nntplib.html
> from nntplib import *
>
> <snip rest of script>

Sorry, this just won't do. Too many comments. :-)

> <snip>
>
> Stuff just works better in Linux. What else can you say.

That's it in a nutshell. All I can add is that it is fun too. To me
that's one of the huge differences between *nix and MS OS's.  No
wonder the wintrolls are grumpy all the time. So would I be if I was
forced to use that crap day in day out. That's another freedom that
OSS provides.