Problem with assigning variables of type List

Greg Ewing see_reply_address at something.invalid
Thu Aug 22 23:04:51 EDT 2002

Hans Nowak wrote:

> OK. That's two ways of looking at the same thing. I prefer to think of
> things as objects with names bound to them, rather than pointers to
> objects in boxes.

But that only works when you *have* names. Many
objects in a typical Python program don't have
any names bound to them -- contents of lists,
tuples, dicts, etc.

You need some concept of boxes with pointers
in them to make sense of all those. Once you
have that, it seems natural to me to think
of variables as named boxes.

> YMMV, of course.

Indeed. I'm quite happy with the mileage I
get from my named boxes. About 50mpg on a
good day, I think. :-)

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,