Whitelist/verification spam filters

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Aug 27 19:52:51 EDT 2002

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> Indeed.  I find this similar to websites which require me to get a
> login from
> them to do anything.  In particular I had to jump through this hoop to
> submit
> a bug on a piece of software.  Took me a total of 5 minutes to get the
> *ability* to submit the bug (submit request for id, wait for email
> with id,
> login with id, then learn the site).

Right, same thing with asking simple questions about software.  Too many
hoops means I won't bother.

I'm sure the whitelist technique is suitable for people who have a
close-knit list of email buddies and do not get legitimate email from a
wide variety of unknown places (like you say, run a Web site, or
distribute software, or administer some service, etc.).  But for people
with in effect a public presence on the Internet, the whitelist
technique seems very selfish.

/  \ There is nothing so subject to the inconstancy of fortune as war.
\__/ Miguel de Cervantes
    Church / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/church/
 A lambda calculus explorer in Python.