How are you using Python?

Bo M. Maryniuck b.maryniuk at forbis.lt
Mon Aug 5 04:00:01 EDT 2002

On Friday 02 August 2002 19:02, Will Stuyvesant wrote:
> Except that here in Europe it is almost impossible to buy
> a notebook you like with linux installed.
But it IS possible to buy Linux CD's, for example, great SuSE Linux...

> Installing linux, with latex and xfig and python and gcc and vim and
> all those other things I was used to, is still taking too much time.
I'm so sorry, no offence, but... this is actually FUD and lie. I use Linux in
my daily professional work at the office and home more than three years now
and I can claim, that installing all what You need is around one hour with
full configuration, including networking, printing, security and
multimedia... What can I tell you about Win32? The latest MS bastard
XP-trash-release is all the time crashes when you espesially expecting
stability, and after new hardware is found, you should restart the box
several times...

> But the main problem is
> with the fonts, at least I -think- it has to do with
> fonts.
Download for free from microsoft.com standard ttf's (or better just copy whole
C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\*.TTF from your nearest friend over the Intranet), copy to
e.g. to /usr/local/yourFonts and add to the X11 path in /etc/X11/XF86Config
(SuSE Linux) like:

            FontPath "/usr/local/yourFonts"

...then restart X11. That's all folks!

> With Windows the documents I read from the
> computer screen are just looking better.  Especially when
> reading documents with a browser.
Yes, moreover with the Windows mouse clicks much better, keyboard presses
nicer and HDD NTFS sounds much sweety...

> I tried everything I
> could think of configuring linux and tried Netscape,
> Mozilla, Konqueror etc. with all sorts of fonts, but had
> to give up in the end.
Me too: I'm tired watching blue-screen-of-death in my critical applications.

> Somebody else here has no problems at all with the linux
> fonts so I thought maybe it is just me?
Probably yes. ;o] Just ask me personally (or somebody else in this conference
who uses Linux).

> I am afraid linux will die slowly
:))))) Are you kidding us?

> because of neglect of
> providing things like professional fonts and games,
Professional fonts is NOT like M$-fonts: tahoma, verdana and trebucet.
Professional fonts are expencive and not for free, usually. And not *windows*
neither MacOS or Linux should provide *fonts* -- they just *support* ttf
format or so. It is funny to see the box with [ O.K. ] button in Windows,
with a string like: "Sorry, too much fonts installed". That's professional
look?!

> Happy pythoneering!
You too.

--
Sincerely yours, Bogdan M. Maryniuck

`When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just stare at
you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*".'
(By Linus Torvalds)