Out-denting multiline comments

Ville Vainio vvainio at tp.spt.fi
Fri Aug 9 03:32:54 EDT 2002

"Delaney, Timothy" <tdelaney at avaya.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1028849175.24992.python-list at python.org>...

> > From: Max M [mailto:maxm at mxm.dk]
> >
> > Is there a standard idiom for un-tabbing, de-denting, un-denting (or

> There's been talk of exposing this functionality outside of this one domain
> though (since it is useful for things other than docstrings).

Yes, it was discussed on Python-Dev a while back (until Guide told us
to move the discussion here), and apparently implementing a "dedent"
method in the upcoming textwrap module got some support. What is not
clear, however, is who should implement (ie copy-paste from inspect)
the method. I was told to "go for it", which probably means that it's
good idea - but having no write access to python CVS means someone
else should probably do it.

-- Ville