Could Python supplant Java?

d2002xx d2002xx at myrealbox.com
Fri Aug 23 14:40:50 EDT 2002

> > Hmmmm.... http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/shouldbefree.html
>
> You do realize that that paper is not a serious argument,
> right? It's more an insult than an argument, pouring contempt
> on people who earn a living in software

ok, different views.

> It's also strongly divorced from reality.

Hmmm... At least RedHat gets success, nor?

> > > But then again, you really shouldn't have to. If
> > > kernel hacking is required as a normal development
> > > practice, something is deeply wrong.
> >
> > No, it's just for fun. But why I *can't* do this on my box?
>
> Because you haven't paid for it. I know you want
> to enjoy the benefits of Microsoft's work without
> paying them more than a nominal sum for it, but
> there's no way a very large project like Windows NT
> could be viable if Microsoft didn't have the power
> to forbid that.

very large project? hmm... GNU/Linux?

> I know, RMS says programmers will write software
> even if not paid for it as such. And we will, too, but it
> won't be Windows NT. You might want to visit my
> web page:
>
> [http://www.vzavenue.net/~danieljohnson/]
>
> You will find there such software as I write for
> free. Also various rants, but never mind those.
>
> But it's all odds and ends, experiments in
> technology. Such are the things that catch
> my imagination.

Sounds interesting, I'll take a look tomorrow.

> On the other hand, when I write for free, I
> mean it: no string attached, do anything you
> want with it.
>
> And that's more than RMS can say, what he
> writes is always under a highly restrictive
> license, which would be meaningless but for
> the intellectual property rights he condemns.

again, different views, and I prefer to RHS'. (and I think that not
only software should be free, though it's far from reality)

> > .... damned... VB.... (I just hate any thing derived from basic,
> > don't mind :)
>
> It's a bit of a throwback to Microsoft's roots. Fear
> not, MS seems to be favoring C# these days.

No, because I hate its language syntax, not about M$.