Python stories (was 20 Stages of Perl to Python Conversion)

Ken Seehof kseehof at neuralintegrator.com
Fri Aug 16 05:43:52 EDT 2002

I didn't have to convert from another language exactly, since
C++ was my primary language, which I still use as a slave to
python.  My initiation to python began with a desire to write
my own language.

1. Decided to write my own language based on a few clever ideas.

2. Ignored some good advice: "If you want to design a new
programming language, wait for the feeling to pass."

3. Decided to review all significant programming languages, to
see if my concepts had already been addressed effectively (None
of the popular languages that I was familiar with did).  I found
a page somewhat like one of the following, and went through the
list making sure that I understood enough to perhaps write "hello
world" or the equivalent.  I recommend this excersize to all
programmers.

http://www.engin.umd.umich.edu/CIS/course.des/cis400/
http://sk.nvg.org/lang/lang.html
http://www2.latech.edu/~acm/HelloWorld.shtml

4. By now enough time had passed, so I didn't need to design
my language anymore.

BTW, I didn't quite make it through the list, having stopped at
the end of the P's.

- Ken