Can ask a class for its functions?

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Thu Aug 15 11:50:30 EDT 2002

"Troy Melhase" <troy at gci.net> wrote in message
news:ulm3d0envo0mbe at corp.supernews.com...
> Or more list-comprehension-ly?
>
>         [x for x in clazz.__dict__.values() if callable(x)]

This almost works except that it only gives you the methods defined in the
class, it doesn't include methods from any of the superclasses.

>>> class A:
...     a = 'hello'
...     def aMethod(self):
...         print a
>>> [x for x in A.__dict__.values() if callable(x)]
[<function aMethod at 0x0156D8C0>]
>>> class B(A):
...     b = 'world'
...     def bMethod(self):
...         print b
>>> [x for x in B.__dict__.values() if callable(x)]
[<function bMethod at 0x0156AD78>]

The first use of filter Peter provides below does appear to work correctly,
picking up superclass methods.

>>> filter(callable, [getattr(B, attr) for attr in dir(B)])
[<unbound method B.aMethod>, <unbound method B.bMethod>]

It looks like you can also use that on an instance of a class. I wonder
whether these results are Python 2.2.x specific? PythonCard has been using
an elaborate method to recurse over an instance variable using __bases__ and
it would be nice to replace that.

ka