Howto OSX + GUI + PIL1.1.3 ??

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Sun Aug 4 01:36:08 EDT 2002

Is there an easy way to get Python Imaging Library 1.1.3 running with a
GUI under OS X?  I am currently using PIL 1.1.2 with the W GUI package
under MacPython, but am unsatisfied with the way it downsamples images,
which has been improved in 1.1.3.

The PIL site <http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/> has had the
source available since March, with a "binaries will be available later"
notice for 4 1/2 months, anyway I guess they mean Windows binaries since
the Mac version was never at that site.  A newer MacPython has been
released since then but it stuck to the older PIL for compatibility
reasons.  I can't compile my own PIL even if I knew how because
apparently getting extensions to work with MacPython has to be done with
one particular compiler, CodeWarrior 8, while the only compilers I have
are the gcc that came with the OS X developer tool CD and a much older
CodeWarrior.

Poking around on the net gives me the impression that Mac Python energy
these days is going into something else called MachoPython, which uses
different UIs (wx or tkinter).  Does this work better than
tkinter/MacPython (which I could never get working well and when I asked
about it was advised to switch to W)?  Is there any hope of working with
W or would I need to rewrite all my UI code?  Does MachoPython allow the
creation of standalone applications or applets onto which you can drag
files?  Are compiled versions of PIL 1.1.3 available?  Failing that, are
there clear easy to follow instructions for someone who has never
compiled a Python extension?

Perhaps this should go to the MacPython list instead of here, but I
didn't get much useful response when I asked a similar question there a
couple months ago.

--
David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein at ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/