x = eval(repr(sys.stdout)) ?

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Wed Aug 7 15:19:49 EDT 2002

mclay <mclay at cfdlab.ae.utexas.edu> wrote in
news:3D503F3F.6683E676 at cfdlab.ae.utexas.edu:

> I would like to turn the representation of a stream back into a
> stream.
>   >>> x = eval(repr(sys.stdout))

no need for repr here...
just save the file object (the reference to it) in an other variable:
saveout = sys.stdout
sys.stdout = open("log.txt","w")

at the end:
sys.stdout = saveout

> So the question is:  Is there a way to save a "pointer" to a variable in
> python so that it can be set latter?

all objects in python are referenced. you can easly have two names
(variables) that referece the same object.

>>> a = []
>>> b = a
>>> b.append("hello")
>>> print a

the trick is that you need a muatble object. so you cannot change anumber
directly, but you can put in a list and change the element in the list.

>>> b = a
>>> print a

chris

--