Database experiences in Python: Good or Bad?

Opus opus at value.net
Tue Aug 6 01:40:46 EDT 2002

Jeff,

>From one that is using Pyhton with MySQL right now, it works great.
I use mySQLdb for connectiviy, but I'm going to start looking at
using some ODBC driver for connection.  As to connection to other
databases, AFAIK if you are using ODBC to connect to the database,
the only problem is the specific flavor of SQL that each support.  I
worked on some software at one point that used Oracle, MSSQL, DB2, or
Sybase.  It connected to all of those via ODBC.

(RPG eh?  Can I get a job?)

The ODBC driver does look a bit nerving and I will probably put that
off until a later stage in the project.  (Why fix what is not
broken?)

On 5 Aug 2002 at 21:46, Jeff Schedin wrote:

> I am thinking of getting into Python but before I take the plunge I
> wanted to get some opinions on how the database connectivity is
> actually working in python since the work I will be doing will be
> heavy on getting data from Oracle, MSSQL and DB2 databases off of all
> sorts of OS'.
>
> (Currently I am programming on an AS/400 in RPG which due to the
> integrated nature of OS/400 DB2 is native - no drivers I just declare
> the file and read or embed the SQL directly into the code. Needless to
> say all of this monkey business with drivers makes me a little
> nervous.)
>
> I have looked at the DB SIG and think that if the drivers actually
> implement all of the features I will be fine.  Some of the drivers
> look a little scary to me - this could just be my perception of course
> - while others look like a lot of work (mxODBC - which looks good
> requires some compiling ?)  Some of my main concerns are that metadata
> be available and that the drivers are activly maintained either
> privately or by an active community.
>
> It seems that the Open Source databases are fine in this area:
> PostgreSQL, MySQL etc  but what about DB2/Oracle/MSSQL?  I don't mind
> having to do a little extra coding I just want to be able to download
> a driver (I will even compile if the instructions are decent) that I
> know will work and that will evolve as the Database Vendors do.
>
> Java's JDBC api seems to be well supported by most databases so would
> Jython be a better approach?  Since databases are the heart of many
> projects I must assume that things working fine but from my basic
> research (ok it was just ala google) I don't seem too confident in
> Python's DB-API compliance or support.
>
> Perhaps I am just thinking about the whole topic incorrectly (it sure
> feels like it).  I mean don't most DBs expose an API which these
> drivers are then just coded against?  All wisdom appreciated.
>

> Opinions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff
> --