a soft real-time system using python

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Thu Aug 1 07:43:18 EDT 2002

a-steinhoff at web.de (Armin Steinhoff) wrote in
news:ddc19db7.0208010135.217b551 at posting.google.com:

> anton wilson <anton.wilson at camotion.com> wrote in message
> news:<mailman.1028134302.18143.python-list at python.org>...

>> > If the soft-real-time system we use makes simple function calls and
>> > only uses simple datatypes and possibly tuples, what are some of
>> > the potential pitfalls we could run into? I understand the
>> > deallocation issue and the garbage collection issue. (Does garbage
>> > collection have to be enabled?) Can we somehow get an idea on the
>> > worse case time delays in python using only simple function calls
>> > and assignments with small tuples and simple datatypes?
>>

>> For further information, we're already having a certain problem where
>> python threads seem to drastically decrease performance in the middle
>> of the program for around a second. Garbage collection has been
>> disabled, but it's possible that there is some other
>> behind-the-scenes work that Python is doing.
>
> If you are using extensively dictionaries ... Python is using then
> extensively malloc of your syetem, that means any performance issues
> of the malloc lib will be visible.
>
> Have also in mind that blocking IO calls are blocking the _whole_
> interpreter!

why do you say that?!? it's true that other threads are blocked when you
enter a function in a C extension (the GIL is hold), but all the IO stuff
you find in the library releases the GIL during a blocking operation, so
that threads realy run simultaneous.

> Python threads are not _system level_ threads!!

but realy close...

--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>