Is it worth learning python?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Aug 21 21:08:46 EDT 2002

In article <337619fa.0208211042.419e0e46 at posting.google.com>, Raphael Ribeiro wrote:

> I wanna start learning some real programming language

[...]

> But I don't know if this
> language is well-accepted in the market and if having a good python
> knowledge would give me a good job..

If you want a good job, you'll need a degree.  That means you've got 4-5
more years to learn languages (and the market as 4-5 more years to accept
Python).  By then you'll have learned a half-dozen languages (assuming you
go to a school with a decent curriculum).

I think Python is definitly worth learning.  But I'd say the same about
COBOL, C, Prolog, FORTRAN, Modula-3, Scheme, Smalltalk, Perl, APL, PDP-11 machine
language (PDP-11 assmebler too) and at least six others.

Whether they should be used for a real-world project is a completely
different question: "worth learning" != "worth using".

But, the "one true programming language" doesn't exist.  Python, however, is
a damn good shadow on the cave wall.  Most of the concepts you learn in
Python are easily transferred to other languages.

> I am only 17 and I'm only making plans, so if you have any suggestions tell
> me.

Stop planning, start programming :)

So many languages, so little time...

--