Could Python supplant Java?

Matthew Gardiner matgarnz at mail.ru
Sat Aug 24 10:57:59 EDT 2002

Nick Ruisi wrote:

> .net compiled code can run on linux with the mono CLR
> (http://www.go-mono.com). One can use the mono tool kit to write /
> compile .Net code on a linux box, without ever touching a microsoft
> product.  The compiler and SDK for C# and VB.Net is a free (albeit
> large) download. Although I don't like VB.Net as a language, C# is fine.
> It's just like java.

However, you open yourself to a whole saga of issues that go with it, such
as patents that Microsoft may add onto key pieces of technology.

Personally, Python would be a good desktop replacement for Java, having run
Python programs, both graphical and commandline, they are pretty responsive
and reliable.

Matthew Gardiner