Problem compiling Secret Labs RexExp module in pyamazon package

Robert Oschler Oschler at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 28 15:41:46 EDT 2002

I'm trying to run pyamazon.py, the Python package for interfacing with
Amazon's SOAP server.  I'm a Python newbie, but an experienced C++ and
Delphi programmer, and I belive that xml.dom, which is used by pyamazon,
uses Secret Lab's RegExp package for it's parsing code.  Unfortunately, when
__init__.py runs I'm getting an exception when xml.dom tries to use Secret
Labs sre.py module to compile the global regex pattern called
g_numCharEntityPattern, which is equal to  "&#(/d+);".  I'm getting a
"Sequence out of range: list index out of range" exception when
sre_compile.py tries to process the a "for op,av in pattern" statement.
There is only one item in the sequence 'pattern' yet somehow __getitem__ is
being passed an index of 1 which would exceed the sequence bounds.  Seeing
as it is a "for .. in .." statement which does not use an index variable, I
don't see how this is possible.

I'm not looking for anyone to give me a source code correction.  What I
would like is to know how to do one of the following:  contact the makers of
xml.dom or Secret Labs and report this?  Learn if this is a known problem
due to some Python configuration issue that I need to follow up on.  Etc.
In other words what I should generally do to hunt this down and fix it?

thx