Build bugs in Python 2.2.1?

Jonathan Hogg jonathan at onegoodidea.com
Sun Aug 11 08:11:46 EDT 2002

On 11/8/2002 10:19, in article m3adntoirb.fsf at mira.informatik.hu-berlin.de,
"Martin v. Loewis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Jonathan Hogg <jonathan at onegoodidea.com> writes:

[...]
>> I think it would make Python a lot more useful on UNIX-style platforms if it
>> could be built entirely from configure. Hand editing compile flags in
>> configuration files is something I hope to slowly eradicate from the face of
>> UNIX-dom.
>
> Then improve setup.py.

I consider removing the UNIX-specific magic from setup.py *would* be an
improvement.

An improvement for me would be being able to do:

    % CFLAGS=... LDFLAGS=... \
      ./configure --with-ssl-dir=... --with-dbm-dir=...

and have everything compiled with consistent compiler flags and have the
corresponding modules compiled against the specified libraries.

I don't see another clean way to communicate such build information from
configure to setup.py than via Modules/Setup.conf.

But really, I'm open to suggestion.

Jonathan