How your company think about python?

Anthony_Barker anthony_barker at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 19 21:19:15 EDT 2002

> From: d2002xx <d2002xx at myrealbox.com>
> > I've posted a similiar message in comp.lang.java.advocacy, just for
> > curious, but it seems that most people don't know about python...

Customers I have consulted for (Multi-nationals Banks mostly) haven't
heard about it. I explain it as a Perl that you can more easily read
and maintain.

Many unix system administrators have invested a lot of time trying to
gronk perl - and so resist moving to a "batteries included" language.

I had to fight to have the interpreter installed on some servers - and
so ended up using "freeze" or whatever to hide what it was made with.

That said - I think that Linux may be one of the driving forces for
python. Every Linux server has the python interpreter - much like
pretty much any unix (Sun/AIX etc)installation has perl right now.

I found python a "secret weapon" to impress clients with speed of code
delivery...

Anthony