optimization question

Matt Gerrans mgerrans at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 11 17:28:20 EDT 2002

> All of which are exactly the reasons to make it *work*, then
> make it fast.  Starting with s[i:j] == t without any
> optimization is a fine way to begin...  then refactor when
> the tests show it's all working perfectly.

I concur.   In fact, call me crazy, but I think it is fun to first get
something working, then chisel away at the slow parts (if necessary) and
watch as the performance improves.   The profile module make this a
pleasure.  If you start out with all the optimizations in the first place,
you could miss out on all this fun (assuming you got them right in the first
place, of course).