My first stumbling block with Python

Pete Shinners pete at shinners.org
Thu Aug 22 12:26:16 EDT 2002

Mr. Neutron wrote:
> Sigh, it was too good to be true. I have come across my first problem
> with Python programming.
>
> Python does not seem to have an Array type. It has the Array object,
> which is a one dimensional array, and it works fine. However, I need a
> two dimensional array mapped (X,Y) of tuples.

if you are intending to store numerical data in the multidimensional
arrays, i'd say you cannot go without the Numeric package.

http://www.pfdubois.com/numpy/

might take a little bit of docs reading to get the hang of it, but once you
are up and running you can perform operations on huge sets of numbers at C
speeds.