python and opengl

Mr. Neutron nicktsocanos at charter.net
Fri Aug 23 14:12:27 EDT 2002

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 08:40:37 -0400, guignot wrote:

> I know about PyOpenGL, but I would prefer to avoid it : the code is
> poorly written (lots of warnings) and, IMHO, too obfuscated.

I had a heck of a time getting PyOpenGL to compile on my system (Mandrake
Linux) and had to really hack alot of the configs and other things to get
it to work. It was really painful. However I did finally get it to work
and now it works ok for me.

On Red Hat it compiled without even the slightest problem. Unfortunate
Mandrake does not install alot of necesary header files but does install
the libraries for GLUT and GLIDE and Mesa. Grr. It was a real pain in the
neck to get it to compile. Also I could not get Togl to compile either.
So I completely disabled it from my PyOpenGL.

I can really sympathize with your gripes with PyOpen but after all of
this pain and suffering it does seem to work just fine now. I have not
really tested to any great extent though other than making spinny cubes
and things.

See yah!