using fmod with python 2.0

Pete Shinners pete at shinners.org
Thu Aug 8 01:09:27 EDT 2002

Phillip B. Buggs wrote:
> I am using a program called Blender that allows python scripting
> within it.
> I need to load the FMOD sound library, but when I try to load and
> utilize the FMOD library I get an error message saying:
>
> ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function (initfmod)

this is your problem, you are trying to use a normal "C" dll library inside
python. you can only "import" normal python files, and special python
libraries. what you need is a "python wrapper", which is a special library
that makes the normal FMOD functions work in python. i currently don't
think there is a wrapper for FMOD, which means you won't be able to use
FMOD from python.

as an alternative, you might be able to use pygame. pygame has a couple
modules for playing sounds, music, and audio cds. depending on what you
need to do, pygame might also be overkill?

unfortunately, there are no pygame binaries for python-2.0 at the moment
(only 2.1 and 2.2). take a look at pygame, and if it seems like something
you'd want to try, let me know, and i'll compile it for windows and
python-2.0. http://www.pygame.org

good luck with python!