Let's Talk About Lambda Functions!

Will Stuyvesant hwlgw at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 23 04:16:48 EDT 2002

Duncan Booth <duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk> wrote:
> What I meant was that you recompile Nethack supplying your own
> implementations of the screen driving functions. These functions are quite
> a high level: win_askname (asks the player for their name), win_putstr
> (outputs a string to a specified window), win_start_menu, win_add_menu,
> win_end_menu, win_select_menu (do menu stuff), win_yn_function (asks a
> question expecting yes, no, quit etc. as answers).
> Reimplement these functions to links through to your bot and you will get
> more information than most ports generally put on the screen.

An interesting idea.  What would be the best way to have the rewritten
C functions communicate with the Python UI program and the Python AI
program?  Would have to study Python C extension a bit, and I am
afraid this is a linux only solution, since compiling Python with
windows has always failed on me (no microsoft compiler here).
Probably have to rewrite the whole nethack in Python if it has to be
portable, like another poster suggested :-+
Well, thank you for you ideas, I think I am going to do something with
this, but don't expect anything soon *-)

-----
A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody
wants to read.
                -- Mark Twain, "The Disappearance of Literature"