Python embedded - linking problem on Linux - trying again

Kim Petersen kp at kyborg.dk
Wed Aug 14 11:51:27 EDT 2002

Jarkko Torppa wrote:
> In article <3D5A7348.7010208 at kyborg.dk>, Kim Petersen wrote:
>
>>Jarkko Torppa wrote:

>>>What is the error message when trying to import something that
>>>is not linked in ?
>>
>>Hmmm, interesting ... my embedded python has no possibility of writing
>>the errors (RM/Cobol limitation) - but when enforced to do so with a
>>try-except with traceback print to file i was able to capture what i
>>haven't seen before ;-)
>>
>>This is the traceback:
>>
>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "RM_Gui.py", line 17, in ?
>>     import time
>>ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.1/lib-dynload/timemodule.so: undefined
>>symbol: PyExc_IOError
>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "RM_Gui.py", line 32, in RM_GUI_avail
>>     if sys.platform=='win32':
>>   File "rmcobol85.py", line 6, in ?
>>     import RM_Gui
>>   File "RM_Gui.py", line 86, in ?
>>     if __name__ == "__main__":
>>TypeError: function takes at least 2 arguments (1 given)
>>
>>PyExc_IOError seems to be the culprit ????
>

> If that embedded python is also 2.1, then i guess: your linker
> propably stripped it away as it was unused by the target that you
> were creating.
>
> There is this option in some version of GNU ld
>        -export-dynamic
>               When  creating  an ELF file, add all symbols to the
>               dynamic symbol table.  Normally, the dynamic symbol
>               table contains only symbols which are used by a dy-
>               namic object.  This option is needed for some  uses
>               of dlopen.
>
> which (or something like it) I think that you will need.

When doing an `nm rmc85.so` it seems that the symbol is present:

0006e930 B PyExc_FloatingPointError
0006e924 B PyExc_IOError
0006e94c B PyExc_ImportError

(unless i'm mistaken - which easily could be the case - since i'm not a
really low level hack ;-)

--
Med Venlig Hilsen / Regards

Kim Petersen - Kyborg A/S