Lisp to Python translation criticism?

John E. Barham jbarham at jbarham.com
Sat Aug 17 00:36:22 EDT 2002

"Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" wrote:

> import operator
> prod = reduce(operator.mul, probs) # for those who dislike lambda (-:
>
> Personally, I would do this closer to the use of prod.  It looks like you
mean
> to use it but only use it in the last two lines.

Yeah, as I said in another reply, I forgot about reduce.  Thanks for the
reminder.

> > Any comments on the correctness, style, efficiency etc. of my
translation?
> > I'd like to write a Python spam filtering system using Graham's
techniques.

> I was pondering doing this and then using a pickle to retrieve the tables.
> What were you considering?

Pickling works for me.  Using a database would be overkill.  It should be
relatively straightforward to run a cron job to update a pickled dictionary
based on the day's new mail.  Assuming it stays on the server of course.
I'm still thinking about how this works for POP3 clients...

    John