Gratitude due to Red Hat? More work for the PBF?

Kow Kuroda kkuroda at crl.ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 21 02:40:42 EDT 2002

There is a difference between Red Hat 7.2 and 7.3 in their treatment
of Python. In 7.2, python2 was optional. In 7.3, it is kind of default. And
this brought me into a big mess of dependency problems, because python2
is part of the rpm system rather than an optional package. Actually, it was
painfully complicated to upgrade the shipped 2.1 (or 2.2) version to Python
2.2.1 with from .src.rpm with --rebuild option. Moreover, idle2 on RHL 7.3
wasn't properly installed, if I remember corrently. (I'm back in 7.2 now
for a few other safety reasons ... Under certain circumstances, "Upgrade an
existing system" procedure eliminates all the accounts in the previous
system ...)

Kow