Python is easy?

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Mon Aug 12 22:56:48 EDT 2002

> A Python evangelist keeps telling me I need to try Python as it is
> so much quicker and easier to develop in then Java. Bottom line is I
> think the ease of learning is dependent on the quality of your
> teacher/support than wholly on the language.
>
> I keep getting this error using ActiveStates win2k install 2.2:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> NameError: name 'test1' is not defined

The >>> is the interactive interpreter prompt where you are expected
to enter valid python statements.  The name of a file which contains
python code is not a valid python statement.  You could get something
close to what you were expecting by doing this:

>>> import test1

To run your program from the Windows command prompt you should do this:

d:\Python22\Lib\site-packages\jds> python test1.py

> Can anyone assist here? My evangelist can't figure it out...

Hope I haven't added to the confusion.

- Dave

--
http://www.object-craft.com.au