range question, compared to Smalltalk

Frank Buss fb at frank-buss.de
Wed Aug 28 02:36:11 EDT 2002

Neal Norwitz <neal at metaslash.com> wrote:

> Use xrange.  But xrange only works on integer values defined by a C long
> (usually 32 bits, but sometimes 64 bits).

Thanks, that's what I was searching for. Because it is a builtin type it's
faster than a solution with a normal Python class, I assume, and it should
be used for loops ("for i in xrange(123):") every time, shouldn't it? I
have read some of the O'Reilly book "Learning Python", but it wasn't
mention, at least not in the first half, only "range".

> 3.__class__ is parsed as a float:

Why? I'm not an compiler expert, but I think that with a one or two char
lookahead this could be solved, but perhaps this will result in a
performance drawback.

Frank Buß, fb at frank-buss.de