Quickie about mod_python

Garry Taylor gtaylor at lowebroadway.com
Wed Aug 28 12:29:11 EDT 2002

Hello,
I understand with mod_python, speed increases can be had as for every
hit on Apache, it does not fire up a new Python interpreter, it uses
the same one (or a sub-interpreter?). My problem is, if I run on a
multiple CPU machine, will those CPUs be used? With normal Python CGI,
they clearly would as the python interpreters are seperate processes,
but with Python having the GIL, and I understand it cannot
multi-thread over multiple CPUs, would this be a problem?

If mod_python cannot use multiple CPUs this is surely a major
hinderence to it being used on high-end hardware.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks in advance

Garry