Embedding/API question

msqrd msqrd at lanl.gov
Fri Aug 2 00:16:53 EDT 2002

Andrew - sure - thanks!

C part:

void get_value(char *Block, char *VarName, int *Value, int *counter)
{
  char *ccstr;

  /*retrieve function - tmode is python module that has been loaded*/
  get_method = PyObject_GetAttrString(tmod, "get_value");
  if (get_method == NULL)
    error("Can't get python_input.get_value()");

  method_args = Py_BuildValue("(ssi)", Block, VarName, counter);
  if (method_args == NULL)
    error("Can't build arguments lists");

  py_object = PyObject_CallObject(get_method,method_args);
  if (py_object == NULL)
    error("Error calling python_input.get_value()");

  /*convert to C*/
  /* things work here great if I am returning a string! but not anything
like (8,8,8)*/
  PyArg_Parse(py_object, "s", &ccstr);
  printf ("here it is %s\n", ccstr);

  Py_DECREF(get_method);
  Py_DECREF(py_object);
  Py_DECREF(method_args);
  Py_DECREF(tmod);
  return;
}

python part:

#!/usr/bin/python2.1

from UISF import *

# This function's purpose is to look up a variable in a
# python dictionary associated with the blocktype in question
def get_value(blocktype, var, count):
    for block in NameListList.TheNameList.ListofNameLists:
        if block.BlockType == blocktype:
            if block.ID == count:
                val = block.__dict__[var]
                return val