Keyboard problem within PythonWin

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 21 09:15:19 EDT 2002

Bernard Delmée:

> I recently upgraded from 2.1 to 2.2 using
> ActivePython build 222. Since then I noticed
> I cannot type a semi-colon (';') anymore!
> The same problem persists after I installed
> win32all build 148 from M.Hammond's site.
> This occurs on both NT4 and Win2000.
> I also tried replacing the bundled scintilla.dll
> with the latest one as shipped with scite, to
> no avail.
> My keyboard layout is belgian, if it matters...

   It does...
   You can try commenting out the definition of '.' in the default.cfg which
will be found somewhere like C:\Python22\Lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin.

#.                 = KeyDot

   This change will disable autocompletion though.

   A resource I just found which is useful when chasing these problems is a
Microsoft page which can show the keyboard layouts for various languages so
those of us with US keyboards can emulate other locales:
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/keyboards/keyboards.asp
   I expect Bernard is using the Belgian French layout.

   Does anyone know of an interactive keyboard layout application showing
the current layout and the effects of the modifier keys as you hold them
down like the Mac has had forever?

   Neil