Dijkstra on Python

RPM1 rpm1deletethis at nospamfrontiernet.net
Fri Aug 16 07:41:43 EDT 2002

"Carl Banks" wrote ...

> The real meaning of "There should be one obvious way to do it" is that
> the Python community values:

>  * Sticking to common idioms
>  * Avoiding the use of clever constructions
>  * Avoiding coding in a way that requires a reader to "decode" it, if
>    it can be avoided

Hmmm.  The above three statements don't seem to have
a strong correlation to "one obvious way to do it", IMHO.
It seems more like you're talking about readablility.
Readablility *is* unquestionably a Python strong point that
Perl is lacking.  Readablility may come from limited syntax
choices but I don't think that implies limited algorithmic choices.

I propose Python's motto should be:

If you can read this:
    it must be Python

Just my $0.02,