deleting a message with imaplib

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net
Mon Aug 19 11:17:25 EDT 2002

Gerhard Häring wrote:
> Am I blind or does Python's imaplib really have no means of deleting a
> message on the IMAP server? Anybody knows a patch or a workaround?

imaplib seems to be a pretty low-level interface - you need to be quite
familiar with the protocol to find it useful. Nevertheless, using a packet
sniffer I could make some sense of IMAP ;-) At least enough to solve my task.

That's the code I'm using now to "delete" a message:

    imapobject.store(num, 'FLAGS.SILENT', r"(\Deleted)")

where num is the message number as string.
--
Gerhard Häring
OPUS GmbH München