C++/Python version problems?

Michael Melchert mmelchert at cgg.com
Thu Aug 1 11:40:21 EDT 2002

David Smith wrote:

> I'm running Python 2.2.1 under Linux, and successfully interfaced my C++
> procedures into Python.  Then I got more aggressive with the templates,
> and
> g++2.95 wouldn't compile it.  So I got g++ 3.0, and it compiles -- I used
> distutils/setup.py to make the shared object file.  But, now when I try to
> import my module, I get the error message:
>
>     ImportError: ./cfuncs.so: undefined symbol: __gxx_personality_v0
>
> Does this maybe have to do with Python being compiled under an older g++,
> or
> being linked with an older library?  Any suggestions as to what I should
> do?

though I don't know how Python's  C++ interface works, I would assume
that you will have to recompile Python using the GCC3.x that you are
using to compile your template driven C++ code.
The change in ABI between GCC2.95.x and GCC3.X is a nuisance,
I already ran into a number of problems using gcc3.1 and the GCC people
already talk about another change in ABI format for the GCC3.2. :-(