Very simple graphic plotting...

Michele Simionato mis6 at pitt.edu
Thu Aug 8 08:06:16 EDT 2002

bhoel at web.de (Berthold Höllmann wrote in message news:<m2d6su4j83.fsf at pchoel.privat.uni-hamburg.de>...
> mis6 at pitt.edu (Michele Simionato) writes:
>
> > chr_werner at gmx.de (christian) wrote in message news:<8829a034.0208060642.9119f81 at posting.google.com>...
> > > Hallo python gods :-)
> > >
> > > I'm looking for a easy-to-use module which let's me draw some plots
> > > As you can probably tell from the above, the more simple the solution
> > > the better.
> > >

> > I had the same problem few months ago.If you are familiar with
> > gnuplot, the following snippet is the simplest way to do the job:
>
> Or you could use the python Gnuplot module from
> http://gnuplot-py.sourceforge.net
>
> Greetings
>
> Berthold

I am aware of the existence of gnuplot.py. Actually, it was my first choice
few months ago, when I needed it. However you have to spend some time to
use it, you must install numeric,  look at the examples, understand how it
works, etc. Browsing on the source code I understood that the only relevant
line was the piping instruction popen('gnuplot -persist','w') (at the time
I was a newbie and I didn't known about it). Then I wrote myself a simple
script doing the job. IOW, my reply to the OP was intended in this sense:
don't rely too much on packages written by others, sometimes you can
implement yourself the functionality you needs in five or six line (thanks
to Python ;-). Then I gave him the snippet he needed. All in the spirit of
the old chinese saying:

"don't give a poor man a fish: teach him fishing"

Michele