Graham's spam filter

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Aug 28 17:32:12 EDT 2002

Matt Gerrans wrote:

> > I hang out on photography newsgroups and sometimes strangers send me
> > pictures.  I might not have exactly asked for those pictures, but
> > they're certainly not spam.  On the other hand, spammers may also
> > start sending advertisements out as images, and it will be very hard
> > to filter those.
>
> With no accompanying comment?

Text can be rendered in images, y'know.

In fact, most of the false negatives (actual spawm which gets through my
filter) these days is the kind that is wholly MIME encoded (except for
the Subject, obviously).  It's getting to the point where I have no
choice but modifying my (rule-based) spam filter to unpack textual MIME
types and process them as well.

/  \ There is nothing so subject to the inconstancy of fortune as war.
\__/ Miguel de Cervantes
    Church / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/church/
 A lambda calculus explorer in Python.