Need Python advocacy link or document ASAP :)

Gerrit Muller gerrit.muller at philips.com
Thu Aug 8 02:21:44 EDT 2002

Peter Hansen wrote:

> GerritM wrote:
> >
> > http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm
> >
> > The index can be used to rate whether your programming skills are still up
> > to date or to make a strategic decision about what programming language
> > should be adopted when starting to build a new software system.
>
> How can it be used for the latter item?  Should the decision be to
> avoid those at the top, or to adopt them, and in any case, why?
>
> -Peter
Personally I think that the decision value of such a table is extremely
limited. The decision will be based on many criteria, some of them
"futureproofness", "support capabilities" and "availability of
programmers" which will be somewhat correlated with the mainstreamness
as presumably measured by Tiobe. To convince frightened managers however
the table can be quite useful: look we have more than 1.5, so we are
"mainstream"!

regards Gerrit
Gerrit Muller                Philips Research Laboratories Eindhoven
Building:   WDC 2 - 007              Prof. Holstlaan 4
Phone: +31 40 27 45242               5656 AA  Eindhoven
Fax:   +31 40 27 45033               The Netherlands
mailto:gerrit.muller at philips.com
http://www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/index.html