newbie problem

Matt Gerrans matt_gerrans at hp.com
Tue Aug 27 14:10:14 EDT 2002

How's this (I saved your sample input to a file called c:\temp\input.dat,
obviously):

for line in open( r'c:\temp\input.dat' ).readlines():
   len(line.split()) > 2:
      if line.split()[0]=='#':
         tag=line.split()[2]
      else:
         print '|'.join([tag]+line.split())

(This is quick 'n' dirty, of course, if I was *really* going to use it,
there would be a bit of error handling and it wouldn't be using hard-coded
filenames, etc., but it is good enough for one-shot use, if you are just
using it yourself (I think -- you can see how badly it falls apart on your
real data file!).)