embedding python to add scripting to application question

Tim Lavoie tool_man at spamcop.net
Wed Aug 21 11:11:08 EDT 2002

In article <3d638713.27072878 at news.xs4all.nl>, Alex Prooper wrote:

> I am develloping a softhsynth & sequencer, and would like to
> add a scripting language to controll notes, controllers etc. in
> the sequencer. As far as I can see Python is very well suited to
> do this, and the first experiments are prommising. I can
> call the interpreter from the application, the application from
> a Pyton script, it all works nice.
>
> But:
>
> I would like to implement the scripting like it is done in
> 3D studio Max, or Corel photo paint, so with a nice (more or less)
> editing window, error messages from the script in a window, a
> rudimentary debugger etc.
>
> What is the best way to do all this? Can I in some way use IDLE to help me?
> If so, how?

There are probably plenty of ways to achieve what you want, but Python
shouldn't be a problem here. You can already reload modules, and most GUI
toolkits have something like a text-editing widget. (Tkinter comes to mind,
but there are lots of others too.)

There are a couple of other projects which you might want to have a look at
too. One is iCsound, which started as a fork of the powerful Csound software
synth. Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu is the developer of this branch, with the
intent of making Csound more modular. One of the modules he's adding is
Python. :-) In any case, have a look at his to see how he does it, it might
be handy. http://leporello.agnula.org/~maurizio/icsound/home.html

Another to check out is the pairing of Common Music and Common Lisp Music,
both done in Common Lisp (surprise). Common Music is essentially the
score-creation side, while Common Lisp Music is one of the soft synth
engines which can be used. CLM also supports two-way communication with Snd,
an editor for sound files. Even if you don't like Lisp, you may find the
ideas comtained helpful within your own project.

  URLS:
	http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/software/cm/cm.html
	http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/software/clm/
	http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/software/snd/