Problem with assigning variables of type List

Hans Nowak wurmy at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 22 00:28:00 EDT 2002

Greg Ewing wrote:

> It would also help if we became less afraid of using
> the term "variable" in relation to Python. There's no
> trouble defining it in a way that makes perfectly good
> sense in Python and is also compatible with the terminology
> used in cm-land. But for some reason some people want to
> insist that "there are no variables in Python, only
> names" or "only bindings" or some other nonsense.

Well, the word "variable" does have the connotation of "a little box with a
value in it, and assignment changes the value in that box"... That is not how
it works in Python, and if one thinks variables in Python are the same as in,
say, Pascal or C, they're in for a surprise. Maybe that is why some people are
reluctant to talk about variables and assignment, and rather use names and
bindings. After all, those describe more correctly what's going on.

--
Hans (base64.decodestring('d3VybXlAZWFydGhsaW5rLm5ldA=='))
# decode for email address ;-)