Python Prompt in DOS Window

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Aug 20 07:43:01 EDT 2002

Tim Roberts wrote:

> "Ali K" <akakakhel at attbi.com> wrote:
> >
> >I would like to know how to write a script in the DOS window that opens up
> >when you click on python.exe?
>
> After you have typed a line into the interactive shell, it is gone.  You
> can't save them to a file.

Although in the context of the original question, this is quite true,
I want to take the opportunity to point out Chris Gonnerman's
"Alternative ReadLine" http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/readline.html
which *does* save the text to a file, specifically a pyhist.txt
file in PYTHONHOME, as well as providing very useful comnmand line
editing features normally missing from Win32 Python.

I've found this to be of great use in recovering experiments when they've
scroll off the screen on my pathetic Win98 machine which I still use as
my primary workstation.

Thanks Chris! :)

-Peter