Global Locking

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Aug 6 00:24:11 EDT 2002

Daniel Parks wrote:

> I know that python has made the design decision to use a Global lock to
> control threading (GIL).  However, I am developing a system in which
> throughput is much less important than switching speed among threads.

What does that actually mean?  You would accept a system which switched
every few hundred nanoseconds but didn't actually accomplish any work
because the CPU was entirely consumed switching threads?

Surely the requirement is not "switch between threads as quickly as
possible"...  so what's the _real_ requirement?

-Peter