Could Python supplant Java?

Grant Wagner gwagner at agricoreunited.com
Fri Aug 23 16:36:06 EDT 2002

Dan Johnson wrote:

> [snip]
> > yeah, but they dont come with windows. so that story is out the
> > window (pun intended :-) ... the reason that other systems are MORE
> > developer friendly, is because they COME with most of what a developer
> > needs to develop. windows comes with NOTHING that a developer needs
> > in order to develop, which is why I consider it to be the *least*
> > friendly to developers.
>
> I think unilaterally excluding everything that doesn't
> come on the OS CD is a little harsh. Development, somehow,
> still gets done on Windows. Perhaps other developers don't
> feel obliged to stick to what came with the OS?

And it's odd that you'd consider vi and gcc to be "more developer friendly",
than running, say, Eclipse and Sun's JDK, or Squeak, both freely
downloadable for Windows.

> [snip]
> > so, can you answer this question:
> > Which is the only system to come without a *SINGLE* development tool ?
> >
> > <insert drumroll here>
> > and the answer IS ______________
>
> Windows comes with a few simple tools, like
> Windows Scripting Host and a couple of languages
> for it.
>
> That's not *much*, but it's something.
>
> You're overplaying your hand. Yes, typical Linux
> distros do come with gcc, make, and an IDE or
> something like it.
>
> Indeed, they also often come with thing like a
> spreadsheet.
>
> Linux just bundles more stuff at a lower price. That's
> a legitimate advantage, but it isn't *everything*.

Besides, if Windows came with a C# compiler and "VS.NET Lite" (or
something), someone (Sun) would complain that Microsoft is using it's
monopoly power to drive other solution vendors out of business, and they'd
want Microsoft to separate the language compiler and IDE from the OS... oh
wait a minute, it already is...