wincerapi?

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Aug 29 18:53:06 EDT 2002

Steven wrote:
> "Mark Hammond" <mhammond at skippinet.com.au> wrote in message
> news:WNVa9.16620$MC2.51893 at news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
>>Steven wrote:
>>
>>>does anyone have a copy of the wincerapi module (for Python 2.2)?
>>>
>>>It wasn't in either the 'normal' Python distribution, or the Activestate
>>>(despite being included in the documentation).
>>>

>>I don't know of anyone distributing a binary - the source code is still
>>in the win32all sources, but as I don't have a CE dev machine I can't
>>build it.
>

> thanks Mark,
>
> I 'successfully' built wincerapi.pyd, but when I try importing it, it fails
> with this error:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
>
> My build environment is MSVC++ .NET on XP Pro, Python is version 2.2.1
>
> I have no idea where to go from this.

This generally means that a dependent DLL is missing.  Try the following
command:

C:>dumpbin /imports wincerapi.pyd | grep -i dll

This is a simple way to show all the DLLs we depend on.  It is not
recursive but that is unlikely to matter here (a free tool called
"depends" is better if you need these extra features).

Hopefully you will find a DLL named that does not exist on your system.

If it is not that obvious, try the "depends" tool - it may be able to
tell you that only certain functions (as opposed to the DLL itself) have
changed/died.

Or just wait for Brad ;)

Mark.