Python - IA64 support

Mats Wichmann mats at laplaza.nospam.org
Mon Aug 26 17:14:20 EDT 2002

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 23:56:36 -0400, Tim Peters <tim.one at comcast.net>
wrote:

:[SK]
:> Is python for IA64 available? Any pointers appreciated.
:
:Trent Mick of ActiveState ported Python to IA64 64-bit Linux and 64-bit
:Win64 quite a while ago, and contributed the changes to the Python project.
:It may work fine out of the box, but I don't know of anyone specific using
:IA64.  Download 2.2.1 and try it.

That's only because so few people use Itanium (the processor formerly
known as IA64), I imagine.

That said, I use it, and it seems fine.  Red Hat 7.2 Linux ships with
both Python 1.5.2 and 2.1.1, for example.  I'm not aware that, say,
python.org or any of the other sources include binary distributions
for Itanium (doubtless do to lack of demand), but it seems to build
out of the box from source.

Drop me a line if you run into any problems, I'm interested in seeing
this remain stable.
Mats Wichmann