Dead Man Timer?

Graham Ashton graham at effectif.com
Mon Aug 26 13:48:01 EDT 2002

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 17:02:03 +0000, Neil Everhart wrote:

> Need to detect a stalled process.
>
> I am using python to telnet to a terminal server.  The ports of the terminal
> server are connected to console ports.   My code works great as long as the
> cable from the terminal server port to the console port is in place and the
> console is alive.

There may be a better way, but you could try using signal.alarm() to set
an alarm. Your process should be interrupted by a signal when it is
received. If your write operation works you can cancel the alarm
immediately.

This will probably work much better on *nix than on windows (for which
there will be better alternatives, I'm sure).

Graham