Could Python supplant Java?

Greg Ewing see_reply_address at something.invalid
Thu Aug 22 21:13:47 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 21 August 2002 21:28, James J. Besemer wrote:

>with one 150K LOC VC++ project I worked on I could change a few modules and
>rebuild in just a few seconds.  In contrast, I just generated a fairly
>trivial 150K Python program and it took almost 3 minutes compile

But that's a completely unfair comparison! Nobody writes
a 150K Python program as a single module -- they split it
up into a number of small modules, as your C++ project
evidently was. And Python recompiles only the modules
changed, just as your C++ system does. (Better, in fact,
since there are no "header files", changes to which can
trigger large amounts of recompilation in C/C++.)

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,