Installation of multiple versions of Python on Unix

John E. Barham jbarham at jbarham.com
Sat Aug 31 01:35:17 EDT 2002

Situation:  I want to run Zope 2.5.1 on my FreeBSD server.  I also want to
run the latest version of Python (i.e., 2.2.1), but Zope only officially
supports Python 2.1.x.

Question:  Is it okay to install both versions of Python and have Zope run
by Python 2.1.x but have the latest version of Python as the default from
the shell?  Are there any stability implications to doing this?

Apologies if has already been dealt with, but a quick check of the newsgroup
archive didn't make it clear if this is feasible.

    John