(slightly OT): Python and linux - very cool

Matthew Gardiner matgarnz at mail.ru
Thu Aug 1 20:26:00 EDT 2002

>>> Roy Culley<rgc at swissonline.ch> 08/01/02 11:33p.m. >>>
>In article <slrnakhuhq.la6.TuxTrax at fortress.tuxnet>,
>	TuxTrax at fortress.tuxnet.net (TuxTrax) writes:
>>
>> <snip>
>
>Really nice post. This is what cola should be about.
>
>> This is the code I whipped up. It opens a connection to the server,
>> and gets the ident and stats. It then prints the last 10 available
>> messages before closing the connection. No big deal. But for this
>> newbie, a very big deal.
>
>Newbie or not I think it is a big deal. I've been playing with python
>and only wish it had been around when I learnt perl. Python is an
>excellent programming language. I have the feeling it is slower than
>perl but perhaps that's because I'm a python newbie as well.

I'd be excited to. Good on ya.  Now, off to see when Kobol is ready ;)

>> #####################################
>> # load needed libraries and modules #
>> #####################################
>>
>> # load module required for interfacing to usenet servers
>> # via NNTP. Documentation for this library is at:
>> # http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-nntplib.html
>> from nntplib import *
>>
>> <snip rest of script>
>
>Sorry, this just won't do. Too many comments. :-)
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Stuff just works better in Linux. What else can you say.
>
>That's it in a nutshell. All I can add is that it is fun too. To me
>that's one of the huge differences between *nix and MS OS's.  No
>wonder the wintrolls are grumpy all the time. So would I be if I was
>forced to use that crap day in day out. That's another freedom that
>OSS provides.

Knowledge is freedom, freedom is power. Power to leave the Microsoft flock and
develop your own concepts and ideas. Something Microsoft supporters fear. The
know that ignorance is what keep many people from not trying alternatives, and
unfortunately, those who challenge this invisible cage are "knocked", where as
the UNIX community will praise you as you become more knowledgable.

Matthew Gardiner