Question about Python threads

Artur Biesiadowski abies at pg.gda.pl
Thu Aug 29 04:38:32 EDT 2002

Patricia Shanahan wrote:

> No it does not, if the caches maintain coherence among themselves.

I cannot discuss it further without making fool of myself. If they are
guaranteed to mainain full coherence, including no possibility of
unordered reads (a=0; b=0; a=1; b=1; is it guaranteed that no processor
will see a==0 and b==1 ?) and behave correctly if given info is in cache
of one processor and not in cache of another one (they go to cache, not
to main memory for real data), all this stuff without presence of
read/write barriers - then indeed it is not a problem. I doubt that they
work this way without any barriers/flushes. Yes, I know that previously
I was talking about flush only, not barriers. You have a links, please
go there - I'm already at point where I have crossed my line of competence.

Artur